Oops, Your Home Is Making You Sick

Ah, home sweet home. Your home should make you feel safe and protected. For many, the idea of building a household revolves around creating a cozy sanctuary that acts are a pocket of peace – away from the stress of everyday life.

So, the last thing you want is your home to affect your health in ways that can drag you down. When the protective bubble makes you sick, it fails to fulfill its most essential function. Ultimately, you expect your home to be the one place in the world where you can let your guard down. Consequently, making you feel worse is not part of the deal. But sometimes it does, especially if you allow small issues go unnoticed. Here are some of the most common areas of discomfort your house can cause:

It affects your skin

Your skin is the largest external organ in your body. Consequently, it’s also the first barrier against the health issues that are related to your home environment. For instance, the presence of harmful toxins in the air – which can come from a variety of places such as synthetic materials and paint – can dramatically affect the balance of your skin. Sensitive skins can develop irritation and inflammation. Similarly, your skin also reacts to the heating system in your home. Indeed, if the air is too dry, your skin can experience dryness, on the body, the face and even your scalp.

It can cause allergies

Did you know that even the cleanest of home can lead to the development of allergies? Indeed, as modern homes rely a lot on sophisticated gadgets to control every element in the house, from heating to security. As a result, you might be less likely to check the quality of your system beyond the smart thermostat and controls. However, you can keep track of your AC air filters – using free AC estimates to pick the best service for your needs. Indeed, units that are left unchecked can often release dirt particles into the air, which can lead to respiratory issues in the long term.

It ruins your sinuses

Your nose goes through a lot. Indeed, your mucus membranes respond to a variety of factors, from toxins to temperature. Areas of your home that are less frequently visited, such as the basement can be exposed to the development of mold patches over a long time. Unfortunately, it’s easy to ignore mold when it sticks only to a limited area. However, mold spores can travel through your home and cause sinus infections. How can you tell for sure if you can’t smell or see anything? You can measure the air moisture. Additionally, stuffy nose and swollen passages can be a dead giveaway.

Cleaning is dangerous

Of course, you want to clean your home from basement to attic to be on the safe side. However, you need to be careful about the kind of products you’re using. Indeed, chemicals are renowned for being toxic if consumed. Can you use them safely at home knowing they release particles in the air?

Can you put your faith in your home to keep you healthy? Studies and common complaints seem to indicate you need to keep your eyes open before relying entirely on your home.